The Library will be closed Saturday, May 25th - Monday, May 27th Closings

How Do I?

How do I email the Library?

You can email or use the Contact Us form and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.



How do I get a library card at the South Burlington Public Library?

Any legal resident of South Burlington over the age of five may obtain a resident library card with identification that clearly shows name and current legal address. Any South Burlington resident in good standing may use this library card at any of the other local libraries that are part of the Homecard system. Non-residents (outside of the Homecard system) may purchase cards valid to check out physical items at the South Burlington Public Library for a fee of $25 per year. Anyone residing in South Burlington on a temporary basis of up to six months, may purchase a card for $10 valid for that time. Sign up for a library card during open hours.


How do I know if the Library has a particular item?

Our Library catalog can be accessed in the Library or online. The catalog will show whether we own the item and if it is currently available or checked out. You may also ask a librarian to help you find items or to show you how to use the online catalog when you visit the Library.

How do I renew or place a hold online?


Each library patron can view their own checkouts and also reserve and renew items by logging into their account. The first time using the Library Catalog, log in with your library barcode number and userpass as a temporary password. You will then be prompted to change to your own personal password. Once you create your account, click on your name to view your Items Out. There you may renew any of your items that no one else is waiting for.


You can request an item directly from our Library Catalog. Once you are logged into your account, click the Place Hold button for the item you would like. You will receive an email notice when that item is ready for you and the Library will hold it for three days. Requests need to be in by midnight for next-day pickup.


How do I request a book for Library purchase or through Interlibrary Loan?

If you would like to make a suggestion for the Library to buy a book for the collection, there are Book Reserve/Request forms at the Circulation Desk. If the Library decides to purchase the book, you will be notified when the book is available. The Library may decide to use the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) system for older items.

Interlibrary Loan Guidelines 

  • Interlibrary loan services are for South Burlington residents only, with current library cards.
  • Loans from other libraries typically take 1-2 weeks to receive but can sometimes take 2 to 4 weeks for hard to find or popular items.
  • There is a maximum of 3 active requests per patron at a time.
  • Patrons must be in “good standing” to request items through ILL (i.e. not restricted, no overdue items)
  • Materials must be in publication for at least 6 months before requesting from another library.
  • Audio/visual materials: patrons may borrow books or music on CD, but we do not borrow DVDs from other libraries.
  • Patrons may request books, journal articles, and audiobooks through ILL.
  • Renewal requests should be made 5 days before an ILL item is due; it is up to the owning library to grant a renewal for an item.

Interlibrary loan is made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Vermont State Library.

How do I sign up for a computer/print/copy?

Computer signup is self-service. The public computers are located on the second floor of the new library. Please remember to bring your library card to use the public computers. You will be asked to scan your library card to log-in. If you are visiting and need computer access, guest logins will be available. You can print to the Library printer from Library computers, your mobile device or personal computer. There is a public copier machine and scanner. Printed black and white pages are $.20 each and color pages are $.60 each. We only take cash (coins or bills) for printing and copying services.



How do I donate books to the Library?

We welcome donations of books in good condition that can be used in the collection or sold by the Friends of the Library.

All donations go through the Friends of the South Burlington Library. These are the guidelines.
Thank you for your support.

How do I obtain tax forms?

Federal Tax Forms: We have been notified by the IRS they will be offering 1040 packages to Libraries. - To view and download. - To order tax products to be delivered by mail.
Call 1-800-829-3676 - To order tax products to be delivered by mail.

Vermont State Tax Forms:                                       
Print forms
Order by email
Call 802-828-2515 OR 855-297-5560.
Taxpayers may also file the following online at Homestead Declaration, Property Tax Adjustment, Renter Rebate, and Landlord Certificate. This is also where taxpayers will find the "Where's My Refund" service.