The Library warmly appreciates donations in the form of cash or checks payable to The South Burlington Public Library at 155 Dorset Street, Suite B01. South Burlington, VT, 05403. Donations can be made for specific items, but all items purchased must be consistent with the Library's Collection Development Policy. The Library will determine the final disposition of gifts.
Donations are currently being accepted towards the building of a new library in City Center. Please make those checks payable to The South Burlington Library Foundation. Donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law and monetary donations are held in accounts maintained by the City of South Burlington for the sole use of the Library until such time as disbursement is approved by the Library Board of Directors and/or the Library Director.
The Library openly welcomes book donations from our community. Currently, all book donations to the Library should be dropped off to the Friends of the Library at A Novel Idea Bookshop until otherwise stated.
A Novel Idea Bookshop Hours & Location
Located at 1100 Dorset Street, South Burlington, Vermont, the book shop is open Friday and Saturday from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. The shop will be closed on days that South Burlington Schools are closed due to inclement weather.
Book Donation Criteria
The Friends of the Library have limited shelf space and limited storage; therefore, they must be selective when accepting donations and have established the following criteria:
- Donations must be in excellent condition – fresh smelling and clean, with pages that are not yellowed and are not damaged in any way.
- The Friends will only accept items from South Burlington residents.
- The Friends will accept adult and young adult books, written in English, only if they have been published within the past ten years.
- The Friends will accept all children's books.
- The Friends will not accept textbooks, magazines, Reader’s Digest condensed books, primary source documents or archival materials.
- Once donated, items become the property of the Friends and may be given to libraries and non-profit agencies, sold, traded, or discarded.
To the best of our knowledge the following other locations accept book donations:
- Replays (Blue Mall) accepts books, but no dictionaries, textbooks, or encyclopedias. 802-660-8420.
- Goodwill (Shelburne Road) accepts books, but no magazines or library books. 802-658-5359.
- Chittenden Solid Waste District (South Burlington Drop-Off Center) has a special area for hardcover books only. Clean and dry paperbacks can go into blue recycling bins or in the “Reuse” kiosk if bestsellers. 802-872-8111.
- Used books can also be sold at the Crow Bookshop (14 Church Street, Burlington).