Friends of the Library
Check out this amazing Other Paper article about the Friends!
About the Friends
Since 1984, the Friends of the South Burlington Public Library have been at work behind the scenes, actively supporting the staff, programs, events, and mission of the Library. A small annual membership donation ($10 or more), when added together with others, makes a big difference in what the Friends can do for the Library.
As a Friend you can attend the Members only Preview night at our book sales where you get first choice of our wonderful book selection. In addition, volunteers are always welcome and needed to help with the Friends’ planning, hospitality, and fund-raising projects, or in our Book Shop. It’s fun to work with others who value the Library as a community and education center.
The Friends of the South Burlington Public Library support the mission, programs, events, and staff of the South Burlington Public Library through fundraising, volunteerism, and advocacy.
The Friends of the South Burlington Public Library is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization and membership contributions are fully deductible as allowed by law.
Our mailing address is 180 Market Street, South Burlington, VT 05403
Questions? Email email@example.com
Stay connected to the Friends on Facebook
President, Sue Raatikainen
Vice President, Eileen Beckwith
Secretary, Barbara Harrison
Treasurer, Frances Williams
Becoming a Member
Meetings are generally held on the third Thursday of the month at 10:15 am in the Library.
The Friends Book Shop (formerly known as A Novel Idea) is located upstairs in the new Library. Books are available for purchase all hours that the Library is open.
Book donations are currently being accepted for our upcoming Book Sale.
- We can only take newly published fiction and non-fiction. Fiction should be published preferably in the last 5 years, but not over 10 years. Non-fiction should be recently published. We are especially looking for historical non-fiction.
- Children’s books for all ages are needed, but we are mainly looking for books for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers.
- Please bring donations upstairs to the Friends Book Shop Monday - Saturday between 10:30 and 12:30 or leave them at the Circulation Desk during other hours. If you are unable to bring books to the library, please contact Mary Ann Young at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss a home visit. All donated books must be clean and in good condition.
We cannot accept:
• VHS tapes or CDs
• Coffee table books
• Text books
• Religious books
• Foreign language books
• Readers Digest books
Donations of your books are the only source of supplying our Book Shop. We run the Book Shop to generate funds to help our library.
Thank you for donating books and patronizing the Friends Book Shop.
For 2022, the Library is counting on the Friends to help fund the following:
- The Winter Concert Series
- Book Page, a monthly book magazine available to all library patrons
- Support for Children’s programs
- Development and appreciation for library staff, trustees, and volunteers
- Hospitality for library programs throughout the year
The Friends are also raising money to help enhance the collections, technology, and spaces.
If you make online purchases through Amazon, consider using Amazon Smile. Amazon will donate 0.5% of purchases to the Friends when you set it up. All purchases must be made through the Amazon Smile portal.
1. Go to https://smile.amazon.com/ch/03-0272790
2. Login using your existing Amazon account or register as a new user.
3. The Friends should come up automatically, but if not, search for and select Friends of the S Burlington Comm Libr S Burlington High School (we have submitted the paperwork to officially update our name, but it is not yet finalized).
You can meet other library enthusiasts by volunteering in the Book Shop, at our biannual book sales or by hosting special library events.
Please email us or attend our monthly meeting for more information.