Friends of the Library
Check out this amazing Other Paper article about the Friends!
ABOUT THE FRIENDS
Since 1984, the Friends of the South Burlington Public Library have been at work behind the scenes, actively supporting the staff, programs, events, and mission of the Library. A small annual membership donation ($10 or more), when added together with others, makes a big difference in what the Friends can do for the Library.
As a Friend, you are invited to attend the special Friends’ social events where you will meet other Library enthusiasts. In addition, volunteers are always welcome and needed to help with the Friends’ planning, hospitality, and fund-raising projects, or in our Book Shop. It’s fun to work with others who value the Library as a community and education center.
The Friends of the South Burlington Public Library support the mission, programs, events, and staff of the South Burlington Public Library through fundraising, volunteerism, and advocacy.
Our mailing address is Suite 245, 150 Dorset St, PMB 235, South Burlington, VT 05403
Questions? Email email@example.com
Stay connected to the Friends on Facebook
BECOMING A MEMBER:
PRINT & MAIL FORM
The Friends of the South Burlington Public Library is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization and membership contributions are fully deductible as allowed by law.
Now that our Wheeler House Bookshop is all packed up we are suspending book donations
until after we move to the new Library. Please hold onto your donations until then.
We have some recent books in great condition available for sale at the Library - ask to be directed to the Friends Kiosk.
BOOK DONATION GUIDELINES
Your book donations are the only source supplying our Book Shop. We run the Book Shop to generate funds to help our library, and ask you to
help by presorting your books before bringing them to us. Remember the books should be ones you would buy:
• Hardcover or paperbacks in gently used and clean condition
• Ten years or less since publication
• Fiction, non-fiction, cooking, gardening, DVDs for adults and children
• Picture books, chapter books for children
• Classic novels
We cannot accept:
• VHS tapes or CD
• Coffee table books
• Text books
• Religious books
• Foreign language books
• Readers Digest books
For 2021, the Library is counting on the Friends to help fund the following:
- Support for grand opening events scheduled for September
- Book Page, a monthly book magazine available to all library patrons
- OverDrive and Libby eBook subscriptions
- Supplies for the Summer Reading Program (keep those kids reading!)
- Development and appreciation for library staff, trustees, and volunteers
- Hospitality for library programs throughout the year
The Friends are also raising money to help enhance the collections, technology, and spaces.
UPCOMING MEETINGS & EVENTS
Meetings are open to the public and are usually held on the fourth Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. by Zoom. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for the link.
President, Katherine McConnell
Vice President, Sue Raatikainen
Secretary, Barbara Harrison
Treasurer, Frances Williams
ANOTHER WAY TO GIVE: AMAZON SMILE
If you make online purchases through Amazon, consider using Amazon Smile. Amazon will donate 0.5% of purchases to the Friends when you set it up. All purchases must be made through the Amazon Smile portal.
1. Go to https://smile.amazon.com/ch/03-0272790
2. Login using your existing Amazon account or register as a new user.
3. The Friends should come up automatically, but if not, search for and select Friends of the S Burlington Comm Libr S Burlington High School (we have submitted the paperwork to officially update our name, but it is not yet finalized).
The Novel Idea book shop is currently closed due to Covid 19. The Friends may have a spring book sale in 2021. The book shop will reopen inside of the new Library, up on the 2nd floor, easily accessible by stairs and an elevator.
Like organizing things? Then please consider joining our Book Shop & Sale Committee.
Like to get to know our members? Then please consider joining our Membership Committee.
Like planning events and activities for your family and friends? Then please consider joining our Programs and Events Committee.
Like hosting people and making sure delectable treats are available to sample? Then please consider joining our Hospitality Committee.
Not up for a committee? We can always use help with 1-time tasks.
Please email us for additional information.