Friends of the Library
The Friends of the South Burlington Public Library support the mission, programs, events, and staff of the South Burlington Public Library through fundraising, volunteerism, and advocacy.
Since 1984, the Friends of the South Burlington Public Library have been active in revitalizing Library programs, Library materials and the Library space through their membership contributions, volunteer work, and fundraising projects. The Friends are concerned citizens who believe a dynamic Library is the cornerstone to an educated, caring, and stimulating community environment.
Many of the Library programs and services are only possible through the continued generosity of Friends.
In recent years, the Friends directly funded:
- Winter Concert Series, held on select Sunday afternoons
- Two Book Series for Book Clubs and Library circulation
- Jiggity Jog, a monthly music program for children
- Book Page, a monthly book magazine available to all Library patrons
- Extra Overdrive e-Books for South Burlington residents
- Honorariums for the Tea at Two event & Brown Bag Lunch Series
- Prizes & supplies for the Youth & Adult Summer Reading Programs
- Staff Training and Retreat
- Refreshments for Library programs throughout the year
- Holiday Plants & other Library space enhancements
Additionally, the vibrancy of our community is enhanced by the Friends’ events such as the Spring Member Event, the Spring and Fall Used Book Sales, the Summer Ice Cream Social, and the Fall Cookie Walk.
Membership in the Friends of the Library enables you to help your Library thrive, demonstrate your enthusiasm for books and learning, meet other Library enthusiasts who share common interests, and attend the special Friends social events. We invite you to join us!
- You can use our online membership donation system: www.joinit.org/o/friends-of-the-south-burlington-public-library
- You may also download a membership information form http://bit.ly/2019FOTLMembership to mail in, or pick up a form at the Library or Wheeler House. Our mailing address is Suite 245, 150 Dorset St, PMB 235, South Burlington, VT 05403. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Making online purchases through Amazon Smile also helps you to support the Library. Amazon will donate 0.5% of purchases to the Friends when you set it up. All purchases must be made through the Amazon Smile portal.
1. Go to https://smile.amazon.com/ch/03-0272790
2. Login using your existing Amazon account or register as a new user.
3. The Friends should come up automatically, but if not, search for Friends of the S Burlington Comm Libr S Burlington High School and Select.
The Friends of the South Burlington Public Library is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization and membership contributions are fully deductible as allowed by law.
President, Katherine McConnell
Vice President, Sue Raatikainen
Secretary, Barbara Harrison
Treasurer, Frances Williams
Meetings are open to the public and are usually held the fourth Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. at Wheeler House, 1100 Dorset Street.
FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY USED BOOK SALE
Member Only Book Sale Preview Night - Friday, October 18, 5 – 7 pm
Public Sale - Saturday, October 19, 9 am – 3 pm
Old members and new members of the Friends of the Library are welcome to Friday’s special preview night! It is a $10 donation to become a Friend of the Library. You may become a Friend of the Library at this event! The Friends of the Library Book Sale will be located at The Wheeler House, 1100 Dorset Street.
COOKIE WALK - Saturday, November 23 - More info to follow.
- Like making phone calls? Would you like to get to know our members? Then please consider joining our Membership Committee.
- Like planning events and activities for your family and friends? Then please consider joining our Programs and Events Committee.
- Like hosting people and making sure delectable treats are available for them to sample? Then please consider joining our Hospitality Committee.
Please email us at email@example.com for additional information.
We have two hour shifts (10 am to 12 noon, or 12 noon to 2 pm) available at A Novel Idea,Thursday, Friday and Saturday. You can take one shift per month, one shift per week - whatever works for you. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
A Novel Idea
1100 Dorset Street.
The Friends will be able to accept donations after Labor Day.
Thursday, Friday, and Saturday 10 am - 2 pm ONLY. To raise as much money for the Library as we possibly can, we need to sell lots of books!
In order to sell lots of books, we can only accept books that are
- In Great Condition!
- Published within the past few years
- Specifically: adult fiction and non-fiction (hard cover and paperback), children's, cook books, gardening and books on CD
We cannot accept:
- Books that are: in poor condition, academic, in a foreign language, obscure, large format, or religious
Outdated reference book sets
Please bring books outside of our guidelines to Goodwill, ReSource, ReStore, RePlays, Hannaford or a local recycle center.