Friends of the Library
Check out this amazing Other Paper article about the Friends!
About the Friends
Since 1984, the Friends of the South Burlington Public Library have been at work behind the scenes, actively supporting the staff, programs, events, and mission of the Library. A small annual membership donation ($10 or more), when added together with others, makes a big difference in what the Friends can do for the Library.
As a Friend, you are invited to attend the special Friends’ social events where you will meet other Library enthusiasts. In addition, volunteers are always welcome and needed to help with the Friends’ planning, hospitality, and fund-raising projects, or in our Book Shop. It’s fun to work with others who value the Library as a community and education center.
The Friends of the South Burlington Public Library support the mission, programs, events, and staff of the South Burlington Public Library through fundraising, volunteerism, and advocacy.
The Friends of the South Burlington Public Library is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization and membership contributions are fully deductible as allowed by law.
Our mailing address is 180 Market Street, South Burlington, VT 05403
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay connected to the Friends on Facebook
President, Sue Raatikainen
Vice President, Eileen Beckwith
Secretary, Barbara Harrison
Treasurer, Frances Williams
Becoming a Member
Meetings are generally held on the fourth Thursday of the month at 10 am in the Library.
The Friends Book Shop (formerly known as A Novel Idea) is located upstairs in the new Library. Books are available for purchase all hours that the Library is open.
Book Donations will be accepted beginning August 16. We prefer that patrons bring donations to the Friends Book Shop from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm Monday through Saturday. If you are unable to come at that time, you can contact Mary Ann Young at email@example.com to schedule an appointment, or leave books at the Circulation Desk.
Our first post-Covid book sale will be Thursday, September 23 (5-7 pm. Members of the Friends only), Friday, September 24 (2-5 pm, open to public) and Saturday, September 25 (10 am-2 pm, open to public).
Book Donation Guidelines
Donations of your books are the only source of supplying our book shop. We run the book shop to generate funds to help our library and ask you to help by presorting your books before bringing them to us and only include the items we will take. Also please separate them into Fiction, Non-Fiction and Children/Young Adult categories.
Remember the books should be ones you would buy:
• Hardcover or paperbacks in gently used and clean condition
• Ten years or less since publication
• Fiction, non-fiction, cooking, gardening, DVDs for adults and children
• Picture books, chapter books for children
• Classic novels
We cannot accept: *
• VHS tapes or CDs
• Coffee table books
• Text books
• Religious books
• Foreign language books
• Readers Digest books
Books should be brought to the bookshop on the second floor of the Library or to the Circulation Desk of the Library if the bookshop is not staffed. Please, do not leave them in the bookshop if no one is there.
* Please try Hannaford’s, Replays, Goodwill or recycling for books that we cannot use.
THANK YOU FOR THINKING OF US WITH YOUR BOOKS AND FOR VOLUNTEERING YOUR TIME TO SORT YOUR DONATION.
WE APPRECIATE IT!
For 2021, the Library is counting on the Friends to help fund the following:
- Support for grand opening events scheduled for September
- Book Page, a monthly book magazine available to all library patrons
- OverDrive and Libby eBook subscriptions
- Supplies for the Summer Reading Program (keep those kids reading!)
- Development and appreciation for library staff, trustees, and volunteers
- Hospitality for library programs throughout the year
The Friends are also raising money to help enhance the collections, technology, and spaces.
If you make online purchases through Amazon, consider using Amazon Smile. Amazon will donate 0.5% of purchases to the Friends when you set it up. All purchases must be made through the Amazon Smile portal.
1. Go to https://smile.amazon.com/ch/03-0272790
2. Login using your existing Amazon account or register as a new user.
3. The Friends should come up automatically, but if not, search for and select Friends of the S Burlington Comm Libr S Burlington High School (we have submitted the paperwork to officially update our name, but it is not yet finalized).
Like organizing things? Then please consider joining our Book Shop & Sale Committee.
Like to get to know our members? Then please consider joining our Membership Committee.
Like planning events and activities for your family and friends? Then please consider joining our Programs and Events Committee.
Like hosting people and making sure delectable treats are available to sample? Then please consider joining our Hospitality Committee.
Not up for a committee? We can always use help with 1-time tasks.
Please email us for additional information.