Friends of the Library
Check out this amazing Other Paper article about the Friends!
About the Friends
Since 1984, the Friends of the South Burlington Public Library have been at work behind the scenes, actively supporting the staff, programs, events, and mission of the Library. A small annual membership donation ($10 or more), when added together with others, makes a big difference in what the Friends can do for the Library.
As a Friend, you are invited to attend the special Friends’ social events where you will meet other Library enthusiasts. In addition, volunteers are always welcome and needed to help with the Friends’ planning, hospitality, and fund-raising projects, or in our Book Shop. It’s fun to work with others who value the Library as a community and education center.
The Friends of the South Burlington Public Library support the mission, programs, events, and staff of the South Burlington Public Library through fundraising, volunteerism, and advocacy.
The Friends of the South Burlington Public Library is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization and membership contributions are fully deductible as allowed by law.
Our mailing address is 180 Market Street, South Burlington, VT 05403
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay connected to the Friends on Facebook
President, Sue Raatikainen
Vice President, Eileen Beckwith
Secretary, Barbara Harrison
Treasurer, Frances Williams
Becoming a Member
Meetings are generally held on the third Thursday of the month at 10 am in the Library.
The Friends Book Shop (formerly known as A Novel Idea) is located upstairs in the new Library. Books are available for purchase all hours that the Library is open.
Book Donations will be accepted beginning Monday, October 18. We have limited storage space.
Please adhere to the following guidelines.
- We can only take newly published fiction and non-fiction. Fiction should be published preferably in the last 5 years, but not over 10 years. Non-fiction should be 3 years or newer. We are seeking Children’s books. We especially need books for babies, toddlers, preschoolers and early elementary ages in excellent condition.
- Please donate no more than 3 grocery size bags of books and bring them upstairs to the Friends Bookshop Monday - Saturday between 10:30 and 12:30 or leave them at the Circulation Desk during other hours. If you want to donate more than this amount, please contact Mary Ann Young at email@example.com to discuss a home visit. All donated books must be clean and in good condition.
We cannot accept:
• VHS tapes or CDs
• Coffee table books
• Text books
• Religious books
• Foreign language books
• Readers Digest books
Donations of your books are the only source of supplying our book shop. We run the book shop to generate funds to help our library.
Thank you for donating books and patronizing the Friends Bookshop.
For 2021, the Library is counting on the Friends to help fund the following:
- Support for grand opening events scheduled for September
- Book Page, a monthly book magazine available to all library patrons
- OverDrive and Libby eBook subscriptions
- Supplies for the Summer Reading Program (keep those kids reading!)
- Development and appreciation for library staff, trustees, and volunteers
- Hospitality for library programs throughout the year
The Friends are also raising money to help enhance the collections, technology, and spaces.
If you make online purchases through Amazon, consider using Amazon Smile. Amazon will donate 0.5% of purchases to the Friends when you set it up. All purchases must be made through the Amazon Smile portal.
1. Go to https://smile.amazon.com/ch/03-0272790
2. Login using your existing Amazon account or register as a new user.
3. The Friends should come up automatically, but if not, search for and select Friends of the S Burlington Comm Libr S Burlington High School (we have submitted the paperwork to officially update our name, but it is not yet finalized).
Like organizing things? Then please consider joining our Book Shop & Sale Committee.
Like to get to know our members? Then please consider joining our Membership Committee.
Like planning events and activities for your family and friends? Then please consider joining our Programs and Events Committee.
Like hosting people and making sure delectable treats are available to sample? Then please consider joining our Hospitality Committee.
Not up for a committee? We can always use help with 1-time tasks.
Please email us for additional information.