Here you'll find lots of great books, movies, audio books on CD, graphic novels and more! Children and their caregivers are always welcome to curl up on our cozy chairs, read a story, make a craft, or just have fun! In addition to the great resources, we also offer two AWE learning computers for kids as well as board games, puzzles and toys!
Welcome to the Kids' Corner
Meet Rita Book!
Rita is a converted school bus, full of books for readers of all ages to enjoy. In the summer, you'll find Rita traveling around town delivering books to South Burlington residents, participating in community events and visiting local camps, schools, and parks.
Book Awards for Kids
DCF: The Dorothy Canfield Fisher Book Award was created to honor excellence in children's literature. Each year, Vermont students in grades four through eight select their favorite book from a list of thirty nominees.
Red Clover: The Red Clover Book Award is designed for children in kindergarten through fourth grade. Since 1997, thousands of Vermont school children read the ten nominated picture books and vote for their favorite.
Caldecott: The Caldecott Medal is awarded to the illustrator of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
Geisel: The Geisel Award is given annually to the author(s) and illustrator(s) of the most distinguished American book for beginning readers.
Newbery: The Newbery Medal is awarded annually to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.
For more awards and book lists, check out the American Library Association's list of awards below.
- Asian/Pacific American: Books that best portray and celebrate the Asian/Pacific American cultural experience.
- Belpre: Books that best portray and celebrate the Latino cultural experience.
- Children's Literature Legacy: Recognizes an author who has made a substantial contribution to children's literature.
- Coretta Scott King: Recognizes an African-American author and illustrator for outstanding books for children.
- Robert F. Sibert: The most distinguished informational book for children.
- Schneider Family: Books that portray the disability experience.
- Stonewall: For exceptionally reflecting the LGBTQ+ experience.
- Sydney Taylor: Books that authentically reflect the Jewish experience.